Home » Life in France »
French Recipe – Salmon Rillettes
Summer is finally here and that means pic-nic season is in full swing! So why not have a go at making your own perfect pic-nic snack with these salmon rillettes? If you like salmon terrine, you’re bound to love these rillettes that can be paired with a crusty baguette or crudités.
Our recipe is very simple and we have used both smoked salmon and poached salmon for texture purposes. Top it all off by mixing a little mayonnaise or crème fraîche for a rich, creamy finish.
Number of servings: 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
- 500g skinless salmon fillet
- 200g smoked salmon
- 1 shallot
- Dill sprigs
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 5 tbsp crème fraîche/mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Baguette or crudités to serve
- 500ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprinkle of black peppercorns
- Step 1: Add the wine into a pan with the lemon juice, bay leaf, and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the salmon fillet. Gently poach the salmon for about 5-10 minutes.
- Step 2: Once poached, drain the liquid, cover the salmon and leave it in the fridge to chill whilst you prepare the smoked salmon.
- Step 3: In a medium-sized bowl, add together the smoked salmon, a finely chopped shallot, crème fraîche/mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and zest and stir well to combine.
- Step 4: Once cool, flake the poached salmon and add it to the mixture, trying to keep it as chunky as possible. Add salt, pepper, and more lemon juice to taste.
- Step 5: Top the mixture with sprigs of dill and serve on a crusty baguette or dip crudités into it.
Discover more delicious French recipes HERE.