French Recipe: Crêpes
Pancakes, known as crêpes in French (or ‘galettes’ when savoury), are enjoyed throughout the year in France, but the festivals of Candlemas, 2nd February, and Mardi Gras, this year celebrated on 9th February, certainly warrant whipping up a batch yourself. Here is a delicious recipe that will get your taste buds going!
Ingredients (for 30 Pancakes)
- 500g flour
- 100g sugar
- 10g salt
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- 1l milk
- 200g butter
1. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl.
2. Add 25cl milk to a saucepan and melt the butter.
3. Using a whisk (electric if possible, but elbow grease works too!), start to mix everything together and slowly add the remaining 75cl milk.
4. Once the butter and milk mixture has reached the boil (very important for the texture), combine with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Leave the mixture to stand for at least an hour in the fridge and then fry on a high heat.
Read also our article: The best Crêperies in Paris