French Recipe: ‘BOEuf Bourguignon’ (easy version)
An exquisite traditional recipe to tantalise your taste buds, made with Burgundy red wine! This is the perfect feel-good meal to warm yourself up as the winter weather starts to settle in. The recipe usually requires several hours of preparation and cooking, but it is possible to whip up a quick version that is just as delicious. It is the kind of French family recipe that you will struggle to find in any restaurant!
• 800g beef (for the stew)
• 100g bacon
• 50g butter or 3 tablespoons of oil
• 2/3 litres of red wine
• 2 onions
• 2 tablespoons of flour
• Mixed herbs
• Salt and pepper
• 250g Paris mushrooms (tinned)
1. In a large saucepan, brown the meat and the bacon in either oil or butter on a high heat. The pieces of beef need to be decently coloured (if the meat starts to turn hard, do not worry, it will become tenderer once the wine has been added).
2. Add the finely chopped onions and the mushrooms.
3. Sprinkle with flour and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the red wine so that it covers the meat.
5. Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic and the mixed herbs.
6. Cover the saucepan and leave to simmer on a low heat for between one and a half and two hours. The slower the cooking, the more the meat will soak up the wine and become tenderer!
Invite your friends around to enjoy this typically French dish! It can be served with rice, potatoes or vegetables. One small hint: it is better reheated the following day!
Bon appétit !